Monday, June 21, 2010

The first week came like the morning sun and is now gone with the wind. It surprised me how fast the week went because they live significantly longer days here. A typical day in Barcelona starts around 10 and ends after dinner around 9:30 or 10 p.m... or for the party animals, it can go all night into the early morning. It was difficult for me to become accustomed to the time change. Dozing off in class was a daily routine last week. It wasn't because of boredom for I'm extremely satisfied with both of my professors. I like to blame it on the lingering jet lag that I still can't rid. I haven't done much to help it, though. The first week of excitement being in a marvelous city makes for late nights of exploration. My first week of explorations consisted of the use of the metro in order to travel to places such as the beach and school during the day and spanish restaurants and clubs at night. Yesterday a few friends and I rented bikes for four hours of the day and explored almost the entire city of Barcelona. It's more interesting going on excursions independently from the AIFS program because it is not as scheduled and you are able to fit in everything you would like to see. Not that AIFS excursions are at all negative. They are extremely helpful and convenient, although I have only been on one so far.
Having to wake up for class at 7 am, our days become even longer than most of those living here. When walking to the open air market at 8:00 for breakfast there is not a peep on the street beside my fellow classmates and the exception of road workers and those opening the markets.
Something I have continued to notice is that small sense of irritation that Barcelona inhabitants take with Americans, especially us students trying to communicate in our extremely broken up Spanish. I became a bit annoyed at the fact that some of the cafe baristas and waiters would speak back to us in English instead of enhancing our Barcelona experience by helping us learn the language. The lack of patience is evident in some people which is frustrating because I feel that my money is wasted by speaking english when coming to study spanish. The point of living in another country is to become accustomed to their language so being shut down from using it isn't the best feeling. Albeit there are others (specifically at the university) that refuse to speak to us in English so that we will practice our spanish. And as difficult as I first thought it was to communicate this way, I am so glad some people push me to take the less convenient route. At the end of the day I feel more rewarded having used my AIFS spanish education.
Tonight is a great opportunity to immerse in the culture of Barcelona. It is the world cup game. Spain vs. Honduras. What a lively night it will be. Classmates and I have gone and bought Spain jerseys and are extremely excited to go out to bars and cheer on our temporary home country. It will be interesting to see how the locals react to such a plan.

Wish us luck!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ali,

    Sounds as if you are having quite an experience. I look forward to hearing more.
    Especially when you visit the Salvador Dali Museum.

    ReplyDelete